Fundación General CSIC has selected eight beneficiary projects in the 2022 call of the COMTE-Innovation programme, which aims to support the valorisation of technological projects and knowledge generated by the research staff of the Spanish National Research Council (CSIC).
These eight initiatives will benefit from intensive mentoring for 24 months, as well as a programme of support, acceleration, legal advice and help in the search for funding for their projects so that they can develop a valuable proposition and a suitable business strategy.
The selection process was the result of a rigorous evaluation of each of the proposals received, as well as interviews with their promoters. The evaluation committee, composed of representatives from SECOT, F. Iniciativas and FGCSIC itself, emphasised the high level of participation and the quality of the applications. In its selection, it gave priority to aspects such as the degree of maturity of the asset or technology on which the project is based, the business concept, the market opportunity, the availability and need for resources, along with the strengths, weaknesses and motivations of the team involved.
The projects selected belong to the areas of Mathematics, Physics and Physical Technologies; Nature Sciences and Natural Resources; Cellular and Molecular Biology; and Materials Science and Technology; and are distributed among the provinces of Valencia, Granada, Madrid, Barcelona, Zaragoza and Alicante.
The eight selected projects are:
- gAMma IMAging Systems
- Promoter: Luis Caballero Ontanaya, from Instituto de Física Corpuscular (IFIC CSIC/UV)
- Production of bacterial nanocellulose from waste and greenhouse gases: CO2 capture, waste recycling and development of market products
- Promoter: Silvia Marqués Martín, from Estación Experimental del Zaidín (EEZ-CSIC)
- iFABCell, smart hydrogels for efficient and controlled cell growth and detachment
- Promoter: Carolina García Sánchez, from Instituto de Ciencia y Tecnología de Polímeros (ICTP-CSIC)
- Promoter: María José Jurado Rodríguez, from Geociencias Barcelona (GEO3BCN-CSIC)
- Development, manufacture and commercialisation of redox flow batteries and energy management systems
- Promoter: Félix Manuel Barreras Toledo, from Laboratorio de Investigación en Fluidodinámica y Tecnologías de la Combustión (LIFTEC-UNIZAR/CSIC)
- Production of nanocarbon supercapacitors using laser technology
- Promoter: Ángel Pérez del Pino, from Instituto de Ciencia de Materiales de Barcelona (ICMAB-CSIC)
- Accelerating a technological innovation project for the automation of animal counting tasks, flyGear
- Promoter: María Domínguez Castellano, from Instituto de Neurociencias (IN-CSIC/UMH)
- Universal diagnosis of infectious diseases
- Promoter: Eduardo Gil Santos, from Instituto de Micro y Nanotecnología (IMN-CSIC)